Reclaiming Health and Wellness for Black Births
EMBRACE is a clinical program developed to give Black mothers and Black pregnant people an opportunity to receive prenatal care from an intentional angle of racial consciousness.
EMBRACE asserts a deliberate and unapologetic stance around holding Black mothers, Black pregnant people and their families with a model of care where social and economic factors that affect their health can be identified and addressed.
Our principle goals are:
- To sustain and support the creation of Black lives with transformative and holistic wellness
- To reclaim cultural wisdom and integrate it in modern, systemic health care as an option for birthing Black families so that the beginning of their mothering and parenting is done with a conscious and empowered choice.
EMBRACE perinatal care includes:
- Village building with other Black families
- Race-concordant care
- Culturally specific & relevant conversations
- Integrated behavioral healthcare
- Mindfulness (through meditation, yoga, aromatherapy, and indigenous rituals)
- Extension of care up to 1 year postpartum
Since 2018, the University of California San Francisco has piloted EMBRACE, an innovative group care program that was developed specifically for Black pregnant people.
All Black Everything: Race-Concordant and Intra-disciplinary Care Team. Embracing Black Families, One Birth at a Time.
We welcome you to a journey of love as we support you in the birthing of your child. We welcome you to EMBRACE.